Cost Saving

My first day off from work has been pretty productive - I have started the office, the filing cabinet was first, and it currently looks like a cyclone hit it - I am hoping to have that post ready tomorrow finished. I was able to file my income taxes so I am closer to my goal of purchasing a new unit which is part of Financial Goals. I will have to put my money up and wait for Mr Man to get all of his W2's and then file as my refund is not quite enough. I did a mock return on him based on numbers from his last checks and looks like we might even be able to replace one of the TVs.

Another part of my goals was to to save money - one of my plans to save money is to reduce monthly expenses - so in a previous post I had learned about streaming TV. I am trying out streaming with DirectTv Now but am disappointed that the streaming freezes up on the computers but seems to work on our cellphones. We do have a fire stick coming and it will interesting to see how the streaming acts with that. I had read the reviews and the consensus is that these issues are growing pains. I know that HBO Now - I can stream on computers and cell phone, no issue.

I did fulfill another goal of cooking more. Tonight I made stuffed cabbage, I used the below recipe but made some modifications because tomatoes do bad things to Mr. Man these days.

Bev's German Cabbage Rolls

12 leaves from lg. cabbage
1 lb hamburger
2 c rice - cooked
1 onion - chopped
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce ( I like to use a lot more)
salt and pepper, to taste
1 c beef broth
2 tbsp flour ( I used more but may need to cut it back)
1 onion - sliced (I omitted this time)
1 can whole tomatoes  ( I omitted)

Place leaves in boiling water. Boil until leaves are pliable. Drain. In a separate container, mix hamburger, rice, onion, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning, and 1/2 cup beef broth. Blend well. Spoon mixture onto cabbage leaves. Fold in half and roll from end. Secure with toothpicks and place in casserole. ( I don't use toothpicks and this time I didn't use all the rice)





)





In a skillet, combine remaining 1/2 cup broth, flour, sliced onion (omitted), tomatoes (omitted) and seasoning. (Tonight I melted a stick of butter, about 3 tablespoons of flour, 1/2 cup of broth) Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Allow mixture to thicken (mine was too thick - I will add some water next or reduce the flour). Pour over rolls and cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Serves 6 to 8.









As you can see, there wasn't enough gravy - now grandma gave me the idea for the gravy but she cooks her on top of the stove. I prefer to bake mine - so next time I'll either add some water or reduce the flour.I am a southern woman but I must confess making gravy is a skill that alludes me. I can never make gravy with grease but seemed to do better with butter.  It was very tasty, just the same and I love pairing it with mashed potatoes.

I had some left over rice and thought about what I could do with it because part of cost savings is to not waste (we won't talk about how much cabbage I wasted with trying to get the leaves off, but what I do have left I'm gonna fry it, that is what we southerners do :)) Sorry, I got derailed. rice, yes, that is what I was talking about. Well, rice pudding jumped in my head and I was excited at the thought as I love rice pudding.


The recipe I used:

Rice Pudding

3/4 c. of medium grain or long grain rice (I used minute rice)
1 1/2 c of water
1/2 c of sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
cinnamon (sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't)
1/4 tsp of salt
4 cu of whole milk

First bring the rice, the water, and salt to a boil over med-high heat.

Then simmer covered until water has been absorbed (approximately 15 minutes)

Next stir in the milk and sugar and cool uncovered over medium heat for 30 - 40 minutes. Stirring frequently especially towards the end of cooking.

Note:

The pudding is done when the rice and milk have amalgamated into a thick porridge-like consistency.

This does not need to OVERCOOK

Now remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Turn into a bowl or cups. You may sprinkle cinnamon on the top if you like. Next COVER with plastic wrap directly on surface "IF" you don't want a skin. Let this COOL.

Here it is in my favorite vintage bowl. My bff, Kristine and I found this bowl one day "popping tags" as she refers. I love this bowl, it even has a lid and it's my favorite color. I reserve this bowl for rice pudding and bread pudding (I can even put it in the oven). I don't know about you, but the dish that I put my creation, adds to the joy of the cooking and eating experience. Do you have any favorite dishes or bowls? What do you do for cost savings?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hands Free

2017 Goals

Pick Me Ups - Kitchen Dreams