Selfish Runner

As you know, last year at the young age of 45, I decided to be a runner. The motivation was to jump start some weight loss. I have dropped 20 lbs and my body has been in a transformation - my backside has really seen a reduction, even when I was naturally a size 3 - I had an ample backside. I am still not very fast and on my long work out I walk 3.5 miles and jog 3.5 miles. I really do enjoy walking and I read other running blogs and my miles and speed are of no comparison. As an empty nester this is prob the first real thing that is all about me and I really don't feel guilty about. Should I?

Why do you run? My menetal and physical wellbeing:

I read on Running On Happy how she went from a solo runner to really enjoying team running.  I am not sure I am ready for  that - the team runners on the Greenway like to run all beside each other which takes up nearly the entire lane and they are usually talking. The last thing I want to do right now is talk while I run, I guess running is my selfish time and I do not want to share with anyone. I do wonder though after reading her blog if perhaps a running partner might force me to challenge myself more.

I still like to walk on my long runs - I really do enjoy walking - I can hear the birds and enjoy the nature and I do a lot of thinking and talking to  God. I must admit though that when a runner passes me on my walk - I feel a twinge of embarrassment - almost like I think the runners are the cool kids :)

I also have to say when I am jogging I am too focused on my task at hand and getting to that last mile marker. The feeling after I reach those goals and that I actually jogged, well that is whole point! Could a running partner help me run farther or faster? Would that be worth the sacrifice of my "me  time" How would I find someone close to my running level - I think it would be embarrassing to me is to run with someone - I am not sure my form is good and would I be able to keep up and I would't want to run with someone that I had to slow down and mess up my calorie burn - I really do sound too selfish to run with others. Then I found a post by Crazy Running  that posed the question and I agree with her summation :)

I have been asked by two runners so far to run with them but for now - I'll work on myself and enjoy my "me time" Really, you can have and should have YOUR time and not feel guilty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hands Free

2017 Goals

Pick Me Ups - Kitchen Dreams